Having to shop for car insurance can be a daunting task, but it doesn’t have to be! With so many options out there, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed, but by taking the time to do a little research and follow some simple steps, you can find the perfect policy that fits your needs and your budget. In this article, we’re going to show you where to look and how to get the best deal on car insurance.
So Many Choices to Shop for Car Insurance
TV, radio, social media, your buddy at book club (if you’re into that type of thing) who works at State Farm, it seems like with endless options it would be easy to find the best deal on car insurance. However, it just creates a bunch of noise and empty promises.
Save 15%, save 25% and on and on. It’s tiring. Trust us, our independent insurance brokerage started 14 years ago and we roll our eyes every time we see these silly ads. They’re the reason the mute button was created.
GEICO spent $2.07 billion on advertising in 2021 according to Repairer Driven News. Allstate reportedly spent $1.3 billion. Just to compare, your local insurance brokerage is spending about $12,000 per year! Yeah, the difference is pretty crazy.
Bigger Isn’t Better
So, if these companies have billions of dollars to spend and a ton of customers, doesn’t that mean they’re doing something right? Yes, they have leveraged large sums of money and use it to be the loudest.
It’s a great business model to create revenue. Not so great for delivering you the very best car insurance.
It’s cool they have celebrities and professional athletes on their commercials. But what exactly does that do for you? What value does that bring?
Do you want to do business with a company that just spends billions annoying you with ads or are you interested in speaking with an agent who is an expert at insurance?
Bonus: You’re supporting small business and your community.
Independent Agent vs Company Agent
An independent agent can choose from many different insurance companies to place your car insurance. He/she is not an employee of any insurance company and therefore is not put into a moral dilemma.
A company agent (referred to as captive agents within the insurance industry) have one mission. To sell you a policy from their company. It doesn’t matter if the policy coverage meets your needs or the price is competitive.
This may work for a pair of Nike shoes but is not the way you want to shop for car insurance. Your insurance protects you from financial loss that can change your life.
GEICO, and others, will sell you state minimum coverage all day and not lose any sleep at night. If you’re in a bad accident, with these low limits, you risk serious financial consequences. Not worth it.
Now, given this information, why would anyone ever choose to do business with a company agent? Well, billions of dollars in advertising can be pretty brainwashing (er…effective).
But you’re smarter than that. That’s why you’re here and have read this far. You already know to look past all the marketing nonsense and find the true professionals. It works the same in every industry.
Where to Start
So, now that we’ve determined that Independent Agents are god’s gift to insurance (hehe!), where do you start? We’re glad you asked!
- Ask family and friends if they use an independent agent and if they would recommend them.
- Ask your realtor or mortgage professional. They work with insurance agents everyday and can provide great recommendations.
- Ask your tax professional for a recommendation.
- Do a quick Google search and see who has a lot of good reviews.
- Save time and just contact us. Obviously, the clear winner here!
Ask About the Customer Journey
Seriously, I know that sounds a little nerdy but if an agent can’t tell you about their customer journey, you’ll know they haven’t set up an ironclad system to deliver the very best service to you.
Serious professionals obsess over this. We understand its’ importance.
For example, here’s ours:
- Onboard email containing a Google Review link so that we can get honest feedback on how we’re performing. Give all emails, phone numbers and self service web addresses so there’s no guessing later on who to contact for service.
- Agency app instructions which allows you to check your policy, get auto ID cards, pay a bill, file a claim and more. Some people like technology and some don’t. We give you the option to work with us with whatever way works best for you.
- Quick checkup listing all the other insurance we can help with and uncover any additional policy that can be bundled for maximum savings. Boats, atv’s, motorcycles, vacation homes, rentals, life insurance, annuities ect.
- Annual Review every year sent 60 days before your renewal. You’ll complete this to uncover any life changes, property changes, and again give feedback and score us on a scale of 1-10 so that we know exactly how we’re performing for you. We want to know what we’re doing right and what we can improve. See a pattern here?
If your agent doesn’t do this, give us a call, we’ll show you how our customer journey is the best in the business.
Your car insurance is a significant investment over the span of your life and can protect you against devastating financial loss. There are some real pros out there that can deliver more value than just screaming at you they’re the cheapest.
But guess what? Many times they actually are the cheapest because they have so many options to choose from. They just don’t want to cheapen their services by making that their main marketing pitch to you.
Find a reputable independent agent who isn’t employed by an insurance company and doesn’t place their interest above yours. It’s nice to have someone sitting on your side of the table when you have questions or need help with a claim. We hope this has helped show you exactly how to shop for car insurance.